I am a registered nutritionist (RNutr: Sports & Exercise), author and freelance health writer with a degree in Nutrition and Food Science from Surrey University. I have run my own nutrition and fitness consultancy since 1990, working within the media and publishing industries (books, features and news stories) as well as in the sports and fitness industry (advising athletes, delivering courses and presenting seminars). I am a member of the Nutrition Society, the Association for Nutrition and the Guild of Health Writers.
I have published 26 books on nutrition and fitness, including the top-selling The Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition (now in its 7th edition) and, over the years, contributed to numerous health and fitness publications, including Good Housekeeping, Healthy, Zest and Runner’s World. I have presented at national and international conferences as well as delivered accredited sports nutrition courses and lectures. I’m frequently quoted in the media, do regular radio interviews and have appeared on several TV programmes. Over the years, I have worked with hundreds of athletes from Olympic to club level and am currently the nutritionist for London Marathon Events and Guildford City Swimming Club.
My aim, through my books, talks and articles, is to teach people about food and nutrition in a practical, interesting way. I love devising new recipes with simple natural ingredients. I am intolerant of food evangelism, extremism and unproven diets. I have a passion for fitness and believe that both healthy eating and physical activity should be integral in everyone’s lives no matter how old they are. A former (natural) British bodybuilding champion, I spend my spare time keeping fit through yoga, running, pilates and gym workouts. I am fortunate to have two wonderful daughters, both national swimmers, who are my constant source of inspiration.
Author of 27 books, many of which have re-published several times and achieved excellent year-on sales. My titles include:
- The Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition (Bloomsbury Sport. 7th edn 2013; 6th edn 2009; 5th edn, 2006, 4th edn, 2003; 3rd ed., 2000, 2nd ed., 1996, 1st ed., 1993)
- Food For Fitness, (Bloomsbury Sport. 4th edition, 2014; 3rd edition, 2007; 2nd ed., 2002, 1st ed, 1998 – Amazon top 100)
- Sports Nutrition for Young Athletes ( Bloomsbury Sport, 2010)
- The Complete Guide to Strength Training (Bloomsbury Sport 5th ed, 2015, 4th ed, 2008) 3rd ed, 2005; 2nd ed., 2001, 1st ed., 1997);
- Sports Nutrition for Women (Bloomsbury Sport, 2010)
- Sod It! Eat Well (Bloomsbury, 2016)
- Ian Wright’s Fitter Families (Bloomsbury Sport, 2009)
- Nutrition Made Easy ( Virgin Books, 2009)
- Slim Secrets: How to eat as much as you like…and still lose weight (Virgin Books, 2008)
- Sports Supplements: Which nutritional supplements really work? (Bloomsbury Sport, 2nd edition 2015; 1st edition 2007)
- Healthy Eating for Kids (Bloomsbury Sport, 2nd edition 2007; 1st ed, 2004)
- Fitness on a Plate (Bloomsbury Sport, 2003);
- Good Housekeeping Calorie Counter (Collins & Brown, 2013)
- Good Housekeeping Drop a Dress Size (Collins & Brown, 2013)
- Anita Bean’s 6 week workout: Better Body (Bloomsbury Sport, 2005)
- Anita Bean’s 6 week workout: Fab Abs (Bloomsbury Sport, 2005)
- Anita Bean’s 6 week workout: Lovely Legs (Bloomsbury Sport, 2005)
- Lorraine Kelly’s Baby & Toddler Meal Planner (Virgin Books, 2002)
- Kid’s Food For Fitness (A & C Black, 2002; Featured in the Times)
- Sports Nutrition for Women, 1995 (Bloomsbury Sport)
I have also contributed to the following books:
- Carol Vorderman’s Eat Yourself Clever (Virgin Books, 2008)
- Superfoods to boost your mood (Virgin Books, 2006)
- Nicky Hambledon-Jones’ 10 Years Younger Nutrition Bible (Channel 4 books, 2006)
- Simon Waterson’s Body Challenge (Thorsons, 2003) and
- The Complete Guide to Endurance Training ( A & C Black, 2008)
Television and radio
- Regular nutrition expert for BBC Surrey & Sussex
- Radio interviews on BBC 5 Live; BBC Radio 2 and BBC London
- Television: BBC2 Special Forces: Ultimate Hell Week, BBC3 ‘Who made me fat?; BBC Wales ‘Sports supplements’; BBC 1 ‘Ever Wondered About Food; BBC2 ‘Bank of mum & dad’; Living TV ‘Extreme: Celebrity dieting’; Sky News; ITV This Morning: Get Fit Families; Discovery Health: Body Spectacular
- Radio broadcast days for many corporate clients. I have done numerous radio days , broadcasting to local BBC and independent stations from London studios.
Nutritionist for Good Housekeeping magazine, providing monthly nutrition features & news, and recipe analyses.
Contributed to Cycling Weekly; Healthy; Leisure Kicks; Women’s Running; Healthy Food Guide; FitPro (the official magazine for Fitness Professionals); Ultra-Fit; Runners World; Zest; She; GQ magazine; Men’s Health; Fabulous magazine (The Sun); Delicious; International Therapist Journal; Body Fit; Tesco Healthy Living Club magazine; Tesco Toddler magazine; Women’s Fitness.
Corporate Nutrition Consultancy
Anita has worked closely with many clients, providing advice on nutritional strategy, media and PR campaigns, copy for websites and leaflets, media interviews and quotes, attending media launches, as well as radio/ TV interviews. Her clients have included:
London Marathon; Amateur Swimming Association; Guildford City Swimming Club; Speedo UK; Buxton Water; Ocado; Natural Hydration Council; British Summer Fruits; Nestle Pure Life Water; Meridian Foods; British Lion Eggs; Vita-Coco; CocoPro; Federation of Bakers; Fava Mills; Dove; Sensodyne Pronamel; Florida grapefruit ; The Honey Association; Sports Therapy UK
- Talks & seminars to a wide range of audiences including athletes, parents, coaches; fitness professionals; school and university students; health professionals, and journalists.
- Guest lecturer at University of Surrey
- Presenter at London Marathon Meet the Experts (London); Women in Sports Nutrition (Sheffield Hallam University) Girls Go Gold (Cheltenham Ladies College); FitPro convention (Loughborough University); UK Bottled Water Conference (London); Current topics in sports and exercise nutrition (Royal Society of Medicine); Winter Olympic Games 2006.
- Association for Nutrition: Registered Nutritionist (Sports & Exercise)
- Nutrition Society
- Guild of Health Writers
- Pioneers of Physical Culture Special Contribution Award 2009
- Nutrition (Fitness) professional of the year (Re-energise, 1999, nominated in 2002);
- Exercise England’s Award for Special Achievement (1995)