I am a registered nutritionist (RNutr: Sports & Exercise), author and freelance health writer with a degree in Nutrition and Food Science from Surrey University. I have run my own nutrition and fitness consultancy since 1990, working within the media and publishing industry (books, features and news stories) as well in the sports and fitness industry (advising athletes, delivering courses and presenting seminars). I am a member of the Nutrition Society, the Association for Nutrition and the Guild of Health Writers.
I have published 26 nutrition books on nutrition and fitness, including the top-selling The Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition (now in its 7th edition) and, over the years, contributed to numerous health and fitness publications, including Good Housekeeping, Zest and Runner’s World. I have presented at national and international level at conferences as well as delivered accredited sports nutrition courses and lectures. I’m frequently quoted in the media, and have appeared regularly on TV and radio programmes. Over the years, I have worked with numerous athletes from Olympic to club level and am currently the nutritionist for Guildford City Swimming Club.
My aim, through my books, talks and articles, is to teach people about food and nutrition in a practical, interesting way. I believe in simple, real food and love devising new recipes. I have a passion for fitness and believe that physical activity should be integral in everyone’s lives no matter how old they are. A former (natural) British bodybuilding champion, I spend my spare time keeping fit through yoga, swimming and gym workouts. I am fortunate to have two wonderful daughters, both national swimmers, who are my constant source of inspiration.
Author of 26 books, many of which have re-published several times and achieved excellent year-on sales. My titles include:
- The Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition (Bloomsbury Sport. 7th edn 2013; 6th edn 2009; 5th edn, 2006, 4th edn, 2003; 3rd ed., 2000, 2nd ed., 1996, 1st ed., 1993)
- Food For Fitness, (Bloomsbury Sport. 4th edition, 2014; 3rd edition, 2007; 2nd ed., 2002, 1st ed, 1998 – Amazon top 100)
- Sports Nutrition for Young Athletes ( Bloomsbury Sport, 2010)
- The Complete Guide to Strength Training (Bloomsbury Sport 4th edition, 2008) 3rd ed, 2005; 2nd ed., 2001, 1st ed., 1997);
- Sports Nutrition for Women (Bloomsbury Sport, 2010)
- Ian Wright’s Fitter Families (Bloomsbury Sport, 2009)
- Nutrition Made Easy ( Virgin Books, 2009)
- Slim Secrets: How to eat as much as you like…and still lose weight (Virgin Books, 2008)
- Sports Supplements: Which nutritional supplements really work? (Bloomsbury Sport, 2007)
- Healthy Eating for Kids (Bloomsbury Sport, 2nd edition 2007; 1st ed, 2004)
- Fitness on a Plate (Bloomsbury Sport, 2003);
- Good Housekeeping Calorie Counter (Collins & Brown, 2013)
- Good Housekeeping Drop a Dress Size (Collins & Brown, 2013)
- Anita Bean’s 6 week workout: Better Body (Bloomsbury Sport, 2005)
- Anita Bean’s 6 week workout: Fab Abs (Bloomsbury Sport, 2005)
- Anita Bean’s 6 week workout: Lovely Legs (Bloomsbury Sport, 2005)
- Lorraine Kelly’s Baby & Toddler Meal Planner (Virgin Books, 2002)
- Kid’s Food For Fitness (A & C Black, 2002; Featured in the Times)
- Sports Nutrition for Women, 1995 (Bloomsbury Sport)
She has also contributed to the following books:
- Carol Vorderman’s Eat Yourself Clever (Virgin Books, 2008)
- Superfoods to boost your mood (Virgin Books, 2006)
- Nicky Hambledon-Jones’ 10 Years Younger Nutrition Bible (Channel 4 books, 2006)
- Simon Waterson’s Body Challenge (Thorsons, 2003) and
- The Complete Guide to Endurance Training ( A & C Black, 2008)
Television and radio
- Regular nutrition expert for BBC Surrey & Sussex
- Radio interviews on BBC 5 Live; Radio 2 and Radio London
- TV appearances on BBC3 ‘Who made me fat?; BBC Wales ‘Sports supplements’; BBC 1 ‘Ever Wondered About Food; BBC2 ‘Bank of mum & dad’; Living TV ‘Extreme: Celebrity dieting’; Sky News; ITV This Morning: Get Fit Families; Discovery Health: Body Spectacular
- Radio broadcast days for many corporate clients
- She has also done many radio days for corporate clients, broadcasting to local BBC and independent stations from London studios.
Nutritionist for Good Housekeeping magazine, providing monthly nutrition features & news, and recipe analyses.
Contributed to Healthy; Leisure Kicks; FitPro (the official magazine for Fitness Professionals); Women’s Running; Ultra-Fit; Runners World; Zest; She; GQ magazine; Men’s Health; Fabulous magazine (The Sun); Delicious; International Therapist Journal; Body Fit; Tesco Healthy Living Club magazine; Tesco Toddler magazine; Women’s Fitness.
Corporate Nutrition Consultancy
Anita has worked closely with many clients, providing advice on nutritional strategy, media and PR campaigns, copy for websites and leaflets, media interviews and quotes, attending media launches, as well as radio/ TV interviews. Her clients have included:
Amateur Swimming Association; Guildford City Swimming Club; Natural Hydration Council; British Summer Fruits; Nestle Pure Life Water; Buxton Water; Meridian Foods; British Lion Eggs; Vita-Coco; Dove; Sensodyne Pronamel; Florida grapefruit ; The Honey Association; Sports Therapy UK
- Talks & seminars to a wide range of audiences including athletes, swimming clubs, parents and coaches; health professionals, the media, and international audiences.
- Visiting lecturer at University of Surrey (BSc Nutrition & Dietetics).
- Presenter at the FitPro convention at Loughborough University; UK Bottled Water Conference; Royal Society of Medicine: Current topics in sports and exercise nutrition; Winter Olympic Games 2006.
- Association for Nutrition: Registered Nutritionist (Sports & Exercise)
- Nutrition Society
- Guild of Health Writers
- Pioneers of Physical Culture Special Contribution Award 2009
- Nutrition (Fitness) professional of the year (Re-energise, 1999, nominated in 2002);
- Exercise England’s Award for Special Achievement (1995)